Thursday, May 17, 2007

BEHOLD THE POWER OF BLOG

The last time you heard from me, I gave you and assignment. I threw out a desperate plea for help getting my computer fixed. But I never thought anyone was listening.

Turns out I was wrong.

For those of you who haven’t followed my customer service saga, I posted an entry expressing my frustration about Lenovo’s warranty fulfillment. My 24 hour service repair had turned into two weeks of Lenovo runaround, and one huge headache.

However, within 24 hours of posting blog entry, I received a comment with the direct phone number of the VP of Web Marketing for Lenovo. I called him, a Lenovo Account Representative in my region was quick to follow-up, and immediately a team was dispatched. Yesterday a Lenovo rep drove from GreenBay, WI to Chicago, IL yesterday to personally deliver a new machine (with upgrades!). Not only did he meet me, but so did a representative from CDW, the company who originally sold me my laptop.

Okay, okay, I know what you’re thinking. Let me start by saying I HATE contrived viral marketing. I mean, had I suspected that either company expected me to post a blog about this experience I would have dug my heels into cyberspace and resisted every attempt. I mean, everyone knows you can’t nominate yourself for employee of the month.

But they didn’t. And I have never experienced such a quick customer response and such integrated corporate communications. The fact that they found me, communicated with each other, and solved the problem immediately was impressive. I was so blown away, in fact, that I couldn’t help but repeat the story to everyone I saw on Monday. The way I told it, Lenovo had swept in from cyberspace to save the day. I told my professors, my classmates, my family, and even that random undergrad in the cafeteria who was behind me at the register. Sorry to talk your ear off, young freshman. But someday, you’ll find yourself on the losing side of a customer service relationship, and when it does, you’ll thank that grad student who explained the Power of Blog.

And maybe, by the time it happens to him, customers won’t turn to the internet to get connected to a person who can help. Ideal, but doubtful.

Ironically, today is the last day of the Assignment. While we will continue to post our thoughts here, our class work is done. The object was to study the impact of blogs on corporations, and the purpose they serve for today’s consumer.

I’ve learned something, have you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kate, you might got your Lenovo serviced already. I'm really happy for you. On the other hand, I'm suffering the Lenovo hell and the customer service aren't really helpful. Not only the typical waiting time, I also have been exposed to definitely way more than 24 hours contact. (FYI, next time you try to sell an extended warranty, please don't promise what you CONNOT deliver. "Brand is a promise kept" - John Greening. Now I know I cannot expect anything from Lenovo customer service. If I don't have to work (with this dysfunctional laptop), I'd be throwing it away already~ Just forget what I've paid for, it doesn't worth my mental sacrifice!