Wednesday, May 2, 2007

My First Time

WARNING: Before you read this, I have a confession to make. And it’s not easy…

I am a virgin blogger.

This is the first time I’ve waded into virtual words, and to be honest, I’m a little nervous. So, to get ready for my first posting, I did some research to figure out what makes a good blog. How is it done? Will I be good? What are other people doing? So I did a quick search of top ranked blogs on Technorati. And based on these top ranked search results, I think I'm onto you. And to be honest, I'm a little surprised.


Turns out, you're looking for the Shower Octopus.


And I can't blame you. An octopus, people. In the shower. We're not talking just one bottle hanging from your showerhead, but eight. Imagine! You must be, apparently, because Gizmodo.com, who brought me the Shower Octopus, is the number 3 ranked blog on Technorati.

shower-octopus.jpg

But let's be honest. This isn't the first blog you've read. You know better than I do that it gets better than having three shampoos, two conditioners and three shower gels hovering at eye level in the shower.

That's right. You heard me. There is the phone in the flashlight! I found a phone another one of the most talked about new gadgets on the blog. This Japanese gizmo from Willcom runs on flashlight batteries and has no screen and can be used in the case of an emergency... Like if you're in the shower and your octopus runs out of shampoo and shower gel at the same time.

And then, in my blog wanderings, I met Mark. Hi Mark. I like your glove. He was brought to me by the Blog Squad, an entire squad dedicated to building business blogs. They helped him boost his golf business by launching his blog. Mark writes, “ My blog has been the single best action I have taken in the way of marketing for my company and myself. I estimate that traffic has increased to my by 50% and have seen over $250,000 of new business come in just from people reading the blog and gaining confidence in dealing with my Thailand golf travel company.”

And then it hit me. From Shower Octopi, to flashlight phones, to my new buddy Mark—there is great power in Blog. I mean, if I can discover these gems in my first foray into the blogosphere, it's no wonder it's being harvested for marketing potential.

I hope this exploration was as good for you as it was for me. Thanks for reading. I have to go now--my flashlight is ringing.

Your assignment: What products have you seen on blogs that deserve their buzz?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As seen on tv is now becoming as seen on the Blogs. I have downloaded mods from and continually check tech blogs. They are usually a great place to see what's new, but every now and then you find a great piece of software or an app that is flying under the radar. Finding these gems makes me feel like I'm ahead of the curve.